rom Winter Sports To Summer Fun,
Park City Offers Countless Ways to Discover The Great Outdoors!
A family’s first question about any potential vacation spot is “How well will it work for the kids?” Park City is a destination that is both family friendly and a place where kids can enjoy themselves to the fullest. Here are 15 of our favorites:
- Park City Mountain Resort (parkcitymountain.com) – This is a great place to enjoy a wide variety of winter activities. Besides world class skiing and snowboarding, it offers ice skating, an alpine coaster, a zip line, and loads of exciting summer activities.
- The Canyons Resort (canyonsresort.com) – Take the Cabriolet to the Resort Village and enjoy a fun filled day of skiing, snowboarding, dining, & shopping.
- The MARC Center a.k.a. the Park City Municipal Athletic and Recreational Center (parkcity.org/index.aspx?page=792) – This newly renovated sports complex offers swimming, tennis, workout facilities, indoor jogging track, and gymnasium. It also offers childcare, a party-room, and sports classes.
- Basin Recreation (basinrecreation.org) – This facility, located in Kimball Junction, offers a wide variety of recreational facilities, field trips, summer camps (baseball, golf, sailing, and advanced mountain biking), basketball, rock climbing, and exercise/instructional classes.
- Utah Olympic Park (utaholympiclegacy.com/park/) – This former venue for the 2002 Olympic Winter Games is a fabulous place worthy of several hours of your time. Stroll through the world class Olympic Museum or, in the summer, take the Comet Bobsled ride at speeds of over 60 mph, or ride the Extreme Zip, one of the steepest in the world.
- Park City Ice Arena (parkcityice.org) – Learn to skate or play hockey. Check the schedule for skating classes, drop-in hockey, curling, or speed skating. It’s a world class arena with fun for all!
- Kimball Art Center (kimballartcenter.org) – The Kimball offers a variety of activities for kids of all ages including painting, ceramics, drawing, jewelry, photography, and sculpture. Classes include Tots (Ages 3-5/Pre-School), Kids (Ages 6-10/Elementary School), Teen & Tween (Ages 11-16/Middle & High School).
- Park City Museum (parkcityhistory.org) – Located in the heart of Historic Main Street, the museum offers a ‘scavenger hunt’ for kids and families. This is a fun and interactive way of guiding you through the museum’s many exhibits as you discover Park City’s illustrious past!
- Swaner EcoCenter (swanerecocenter.org) – Located in the heart of Newpark Town Center, this 1,000+ acres preserve one of the largest wetland areas in Utah. Take the kids on a guided nature walk (or in the winter a snowshoe walk) through the preserve on Saturdays from 10am to 11am. If timing is an issue, just stop by the EcoCenter and enjoy the exhibits and then take your own self-guided tour along the Wetland Discovery Trail. The EcoCenter is open most days from 10am to 4 pm and is closed Monday & Tuesday.
- Gorgoza Tubing Park (gorgozapark.com) – The Gorgoza Park is conveniently located just off interstate 80 between Kimball Junction and Parley’s Summit. It features seven tubing lanes, Mini-snowmobiles, and Fort Frosty which is a fun play area for kids under three.
- Heber Valley Railway (hebervalleyrr.org) – This is a very popular 16 mile ride on a restored 1920’s train from Heber City (about 20 miles from Park City) through the spectacular Provo Canyon. The journey takes about three and a half hours. Information re ticket prices, schedules, and special events can be found on their website or by calling 435 654-5601.
- Jupiter Bowl (jupiterbowl.com) – This state of the art bowling alley features 12 public lanes with a 70 inch ‘video wall’ and multiple HDTV’s. Club Jupiter has 4 private lanes for parties or family gatherings. Enjoy a game of pool in the Billiards Lounge or a drink in the Black Diamond Bar while the kids play in the arcade. Afterwards enjoy a full service menu with food delivered to your table.
- Monkey Mountain (monkeymountain.com) – This indoor facility offers 4,000 feet of interactive play including a toddler soft play zone and a four tier tree playhouse. The facility offers drop off child care, birthday parties, and seasonal camps. Parents can play with their children or relax in the parents lounge with free wi-fi and flat screen TV.
- Black Diamond Gymnastics (blackdiamondgym.com) – This facility offers various sports training programs such as the Right Start Kids Academy and Kids Klub. Other programs include Preschool Gymnastics, Girls Gymnastics, Big Air, Tumbling and Trampoline, Urban Gymnastics, and Rock Climbing.
- Park City Ghost Tours (parkcityghosttours.com) – Take a stroll around Historic Main Street & Park Avenue with guides dressed in period costumes from the early twentieth century and hear their chilling ghost stories from the past. Tours start at 7 pm across the street from Bistro 412 and are offered around Halloween and during the ski season. Reservations required. Not for the faint hearted!